Här en kort text som förklarar det som är svårt att förklara.
We come from a part of the world some call cold. There are people that believe ice bears roam our streets. Folkbildning is a part of what is sometimes called the “Nordic Model”. We are proud of our achievements, but bragging is not in our nature, so we do not know how to best explain what we have without sounding too selfconcious or proud.
(Say after me: Vapaa Sivistystyö. Good. Now say: Folkeopplysning. Now say Alþýðufræðsla . After a democratic vote we decided to now use the term FOLKBILDNING! )
Folkbildning can be
- individuals in a group
- curious minds in active bodies
- where you can agree to disagree
- my desire to learn
- learning by doing
- learning by laughter
- a chance to discover yourself, your neighbor, and everyone else
- open to all – even to you!
- easy to access
- the smell of coffee and cinnamon rolls
- the chats we have, the books we read, the thoughts we get
- your life, your ideas, my reactions
- a warm house during the cold long winter
- empowering you to participate in society
- where we decide ourselves what to learn
- learning because you wish, want and can
- learning to develop democracy
- fighting prejudice, mine and yours
- the biker meeting the granny
21 a place to make your voices heard
22 Nordic lust
23 the local meeting place
24 the first step in a new direction
25 a lifelong learning
So what was that all about?
When we tried to translate ”Folkbildning” we ran into a wall. The concept could be called “popular enlightenment” or “Nordic enlightenment”. Some even call it non-formal adult education. To explain this phenomena, a Nordic group of adult educators have set up these statements on what typical folkbilding really could be.
A typical trait in the Nordic Countires is that the state provides financial support to folkbildning. It is generally agreed that folkbildning should be run separately from the state, but be financed by public funds. The importance of folkbildning to the Nordic societies is recognized by all political parties. Folkbildning is a cornerstone in our civil society and thus crucial for democracy.